Thursday, March 12, 2009

Studio Lighting -- Part One

I've done at least four assignments since the last time I posted. One of my in-class assignments was a report on a photographer, so that doesn't count. One of my digital photography assignments was taking 40 pictures of one person using "window light." Let me tell you, those were not interesting pictures! It had to be one person, one sitting, one composition. I did get some great photographs, and a good grade, but I wont bother posting them. That leaves me with two assignments to post about. I'll start with the "oldest" first. The week that Roby and I were sick, my in-class photography class was learning about studio lighting. I wasn't able to "learn" about it, but he did post links to some of the information. And because I'm a big spaz, I have two studio lights and a backdrop...that I had never used. I figured it would be a good time to use them! Either that or get a zero on the assignment! He just today posted grades, and I got 30/30 which rocks. Especially 'cause we only had to turn in five. I took TONS of pictures. I'm talking over 300. I was having a really hard time getting the lights to work correctly throughout. Natalie was my subject, and she was awesome about it all! I'm going to post a ton of them, 'cause I can! ;-) The assignment was to take two portrait type pictures. One with the subject facing the main light, and one away. The next two photographs were using light in a different way to get more emotion or express the subject differently or something. And the last was to use light in a completely unusual way. How it was all worded was odd, and I still never know if I'm doing "what he wants" for the assignments. It was fun using the lights, and I'm hoping to someday get a trigger for my camera as well as a gray backdrop. I think I can take some much better portraits that way!!! So here it goes...I'm going to post some of the not so great quality pics first. These ones I kinda like despite not having great quality of light. Most of these I photo-shopped a bit or they just didn't fit into one of the other categories that I divided pictures up into for later posting. Now that I'm looking at them, they aren't horrid....Natalie's so photogenic!!!

She was asking me a question about the lights.


One of the many pictures taken while I was trying to get the strobe lights two work correctly.


I used some color gels for a few pictures that I'll post later...this was the result at first. Not very nice.


She was so patient!!!



Even though I told her the lights weren't working with my camera yet, she was still posing and smiling nice a lot of the time!


I just love her big eyes!


This one was toward the end...she was getting tired!


So sweet! This one would have been better if she was facing the other way and I got all of her foot in it...


Many more pics to come...and some really good ones, I promise!!!

2 comments:

mollymaureen said...

Awww how fun. I just finally got my studio lights and I hate hate hate them. They never will do what I want them to!!! (its obviously something wrong with the lights and not user error.)

3HappyHippies said...

I love how great Nat is. OMG look at those clean little feet, Baby A hasnt had clean feet in days. Okay wait thats not true, he has clean feet right now because he just got out of the tub, is dress and chillin on the couch. Give him a few more minutes and he'll be running outside, in the garage, all over the place and BAM they will be grubby again!