Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Week Of School

I started out at IWCC on Monday. I was hoping to get into a Tue/Thur photography class (that I was in at one point...but I won't go there now), but didn't. Regardless, I am in Photography 1 three days a week and am taking Digital Photography online.

I'm extremely excited to be taking these classes! I've been wanting to take a photography class since before I started high school! (And that was a while ago!!!)

I was a bit surprised by the teacher. He has huge chops, and isn't exactly what I had in mind for a photography teacher. He seems really nice and that he loves what he does, so I'm sure I will learn a lot!

The class is a good mix of young and "nontraditional" students. I am "nontraditional" as I'm not right out of high school. There are only two other people who have "fancy" cameras (SLR), everyone else has point-and-shoot. I think I was more surprised by this than by the teacher! Oh well, I think I'll get more out of the class than they will...but it shows that you can take great pics with a point-and-shoot!

The first day was spent talking about the class and what he will expect from us. Cool, whatever. The second day was spent talking about cameras and the settings we should use (as manual as possible, with no flash). In my opinion, this should have taken all of five minutes, but apparently there are people in the class that have never touched a digital camera. Seriously. I thought that would be a prerequisite for the class!!!

Yesterday we got our first assignment. I'll paste future assignments, but he hasn't posted this one online for some reason. Anyway, if anyone reads this and wants to join in, please do!!! Feel free to share any photographs you take with me via email or any other way!!!

Here it goes:

Assignment One

Take at least 30 photographs of a single subject. Find an inanimate subject outdoors. Explore the subject in different lighting, angles, etc.

That's about it. The assignment was worded much longer, but that's what I got out of it. He wants us to explore using our cameras and what we can do with them to communicate with photographs. He's big on using pictures to communicate. I'll post what pictures I have so far in another post, and will share any feedback I get in class next week!

No comments: